Powered By

Free XML Skins for Blogger

Powered by Blogger

Monday, October 26, 2009

Customizing the Over Flag


I bought Xylith a 1/144 SVMS-010 Over Flag a couple of months ago. She built it OOB (Out Of the Box) and gave it to me about a week later because it wouldn't stand up if it was holding any of its weapons and its arms kept falling off. So I took care of it and tightened some joints and fixed some assembly errors. Just today, I thought of doing a bit more work on it. Of course I start by taking it apart. I wanted to make it look a bit like Graham's GN Flag at the end of Gundam 00's first season so I sprayed a few parts white and I'm gonna give it a GN beam saber. Be sure to wash the parts first before painting. Use soapy water and a toothbrush. Be sure not to put the toothbrush in your mouth afterward.


For the fixes. I superglued some parts on. The wings on either side of the head and collar kept falling off and also the skirt part on the crotch. Since those aren't moving parts, it's okay to use superglue to keep them on.

For moving parts, however, using super glue is a no no. To tighten the joints, I like to use acrylic paints. Specifically acrylics because they don't harden, but instead get all rubbery. Also, because I found really cheap acrylics in Saizen(like Japan surplus in Robinsons Galleria) so I had a lot to spare. Just paint it on to both parts of the joint, let it dry, then slap 'em back together.

For some reason, it's the ball joints that usually get all lose and require this kind of fixing.


Done with the fixes, now the details. As usual, Gundam Markers for panel lining.

Now, the GN Beam Saber.

Graham took the Eins Gundam's beam saber so he had one for his Over Flag. He later plugged it in to a GN drive he got off some innovator somewhere. What I did here was I took one of the sabers from my 1/144 HG Virtue Gundam. Since I like to display him holding his bazooka, I don't mind him losing one of his sabers. So I took the saber and carved down one side of it with a knife for the wire to insert more than half way through. I inserted the wire and cemented it with some good 'ol superglue. This particular wire is the one Hasbro uses to tie Transformers so they don't shake inside their boxes. Afterward, I painted it black to make it more show-accurate. Also, for more Graham-accuracy, I put the squarish rifle instead of the trianglish one. And lastly, for an added flare, >Over Flags< stickers on each shoulder. And there we go, a customized hybrid of the Over Flag, Over Flag Graham Custom and GN Flag. Enjoy!

Click to full view. Sorry for the blur.
Blogger uploads pictures without its contact lenses.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, let us know what you think.